What is Arabica coffee bean?

What is Arabica coffee bean?

Jan 11, 2024BANCOFF LTD

Scientific name is coffea Arabica, Arabica coffee is a type of species of coffee plant. In fact, 60% of the sweet, fragrant coffee we drink comes from the fruit of the arabica plant; the remaining 40% of coffee is a different species, coffea canephora, commonly known as robusta, which is less sweet. There can be a great variation in flavor of the Arabica coffee beans, depending on where the beans are grown. Soil and altitude also affect the flavor. Grown all over the world, the Arabica coffee plant has its origin in Ethiopia, tracing back to 15th century.

Even after containing less caffeine than Robusta, Arabica beans are often considered predominant when it comes to taste. Arabica tends to taste sweeter and has a smoother texture. These beans also have ester essence. With a glorious fragrance, Arabica flowers bloom only within a couple of years following plantation and produces fruits which are ellipsoidal, inside it are two flat seeds known as the traditional “coffee beans”. Growing almost up to a height of 15 feet (5m) naturally, the Arabica plant is usually pruned to about 6 feet (2m) for commercial purposes.  There are two sets of chromosomes present in Arabica, therefore making it capable of self-pollination. Thus they remain stable as a species as cross-pollination is less likely to occur.

The caffeine content of Arabica is only half compared to Robusta beans. One current study shows that Arabica coffee has 154 milligrams of caffeine per 100 grams of coffee, whereas Robusta has 184 milligrams.

Arabica coffee is best when prepared fresh due to its dynamic nature. If Arabica beans are bought “in-season”, it is like buying strawberries in-season: they in simple words taste better! If you want to capture all the goodness in your cup, rather than let it dissipate into the air, and grinding right before brewing — rather than pre-grinding and storing in a bag — will help you maximize those results. Store the beans in a cool, dry place, unlike refrigerator.






More articles

Comments (0)

There are no comments for this article. Be the first one to leave a message!

Please login to comment